POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? : Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus?
From: Warp
Date: 9 Sep 2000 17:44:54
Message: <39baaf56@news.povray.org>
: If you get an error message you end up having to analyse error messages and
: try to figure out what is wrong.

  This is a very common problem with templates (specially ones that have
many parameters).
  I don't think there's any bullet-proof solution to the problem. When I really
want to analyze an error message which mentions some STL template, I filter
it (with sed or perl) to get rid of the template parameters. The error message
gets a lot clearer.
  Usually I don't need to decipher the error message. I only look at the
line of code (ie. in my code) that caused the problem and usually see what
it was. Some times it's more difficult, however. Some error types you just have
to know to see them (eg. trying to use a class without copy constructor with
STL).

: Now, this isn't even an example with an STL problem and it can still be hard
: to understand the problem.  Try making a simple mistake just like declaring
: a nested template with '>>' at the end.  How useful is the error message you
: get from _your_ compiler?

  Believe me, the error messages of gcc are MYSTICAL! :)

  For example, can you say what causes this error message?

request for member `clear' in `x', which is of non-aggregate type `string ()()'